UK Resident Expats Entitled to State Health Care When Travelling in EEC

If you're a UK resident travelling in Europe, be sure to to get your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). All UK residents are entitled to coverage under this scheme regardless of nationality, however, those who are not EEA nationals will need to apply by post with supporting documents. Forms are available from the post office.

It is important to note that the EHIC card is NOT a subsitute for travel insurance, you should have BOTH.

The NHS site also provides information about health care in specific EEA countries and non-EEA countries that take part in reciprocal healthcare arrangements.

Apply online here 

Filed In: 

Visit our affiliate partner

UK Yankee is a resource and community for expatriate Americans living in or planning to move to the UK, established in 1999. Please join the discussions in our friendly expat community.