Will my immigration status be affected if I leave my violent husband? Who can I go to for advice?

There are several agencies who can advise women about immigration and financial issues with relation to domestic violence (see the bottom of this page). You should definitely seek specialist legal advice about your rights and options. There's been an important development with regard to the rights of women who have been married to a British person for less than the required time necessary to gain leave to settle in the UK but who need to leave their husbands due to domestic violence Complete story at the BBC site:

Visit our affiliate partner

UK Yankee is a resource and community for expatriate Americans living in or planning to move to the UK, established in 1999. Please join the discussions in our friendly expat community.